Monday, January 20, 2014

A New Trail

Apologies for the lack of posts over the past weeks, guys. Truth be told, nothing particularly exciting has been happening around here. We're taking a break from house projects, focusing on getting back to work. Josh opened an office to see chiropractic and nutritional patients in town, and I've been spending a lot of time in the barn, stoking the stove to stay warm and tackling my huge pile of half-finished projects. Fear not, though, we've got a long list of outdoor gardening and earthworks projects lined up for the spring, including creating a tiered landscape along our entire hillside, digging a pond, and a million other ideas.

The snow keeps a'coming, and Josh has been taking lots of walks through the woods with Fern. This week he checked out the new trail cleared by our neighbors that connects our road to the barn on their property. The barn houses a zebra (yes, you read that right), cat, pony, and a number of other barn animals I have heard about but not seen. Once over the summer the zebra and his posse got free and came over to our yard. We weren't around at the time and they were rounded up before we returned home, so I was pretty confused about how a pony sized dump ended up on our driveway until I heard about the "jail break." Country problems :) Anyway, the trail is nice and wide with a gentle grade perfect for walks, cross country skiing, and four wheeling (a popular pastime around here). Riley and I joined this morning and I snapped a few phone shots along the way. The landscape is bleak this time of year, but I love the rusty red color of the bare branches jutting out out of the fresh snow. There's a real beauty to it all.







2 comments :

  1. Really lovely photos, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all up for the mundance: I was attracted to your blog for the reason that you consciously chose a life dream and are making it happen. I love getting a sneek peak of a very different life and all it entails. "A pictorial day in the life of" wouldn't be a bad post!

    ReplyDelete