Monday, October 22, 2012

End of an Era

The past four days have been a whirlwind.

Between Thursday and Sunday we put my condo up for rent, drove to Boston, took photos, scheduled showings, packed my belongings, cleaned the place from top to bottom, posted and sold furniture on craigslist, met numerous realtors, found a tenant, signed a lease, picked up our moving truck, and on Sunday morning moved all of my boxes and furniture out at 5:30 AM before driving back to Vermont. I am now a landlord.

During my ten years in Boston I have lived in nine different apartments, and this one has been my favorite by a landslide. I loved it so much that when I came home to a letter under my door explaining the unit would be sold at the end of my lease, my first thought was, "Maybe I should buy it." A year later it was mine, and I have been pinching myself ever since.

Moving out was bittersweet, and it was hard to say goodbye. I adore Boston, and I loved living downtown. I'll miss walking Riley on the Common, and knowing the names of all the dogs in the park. I'll miss waving hello each morning to the old man who runs the flower stand in front of my building. I'll miss the fruit stand across the street where they know me and Riley by name, and throw extra apples in my bag because they like us. I'll miss the Brattle Book Shop around the corner with its alley full of antique books piled high on rolling carts. I'll miss the city's energy, the skyline, and walking or taking the train everywhere, but most of all I'll miss my friends. I've left the city for a new adventure, but I hope always to stay in touch with the wonderful people I have met along the way. You know who you are, and I love you and think of you all every day.

No comments :

Post a Comment