Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sturbridge Village

We are in Boston visiting Josh's family this weekend and yesterday we visited Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge, MA. Sturbridge Village is a living history museum set on more than 200 acres of land, where folks in period garb make like it's the 1830s. Lots of butter churning, apple cider making, book binding by hand, blacksmithing, sawing wood with water powered blades, and the like. I am a sucker for anything old timey, so this place was right up my alley. I understand it's not of interest to everyone, so I won't be offended if you click this window closed right now.

Almost all of the buildings are original to the period, and many of them were painstakingly moved from various locations around Massachusetts to make up the little town. The stone blacksmith shop was of particular interest, as it was completely disassembled, stone by stone, then rebuilt at the village.

And now without further ado, let's step back to 1830...

The pottery studio


The giant kiln used for firing the pottery.

Handmade shoes in the cobbler's shop.


An old barn.

And I will leave you with the lovely little pond.

Tomorrow I am off to Todd Farm and then will stay in Boston for a few days to thrift and take care of a few errands. I'll be back tomorrow with photos from Todd Farm. Until then!

5 comments :

  1. I haven't been to Sturbridge Village since my middle school field trip! Something tells me I would probably be more interested now than I was then!

    I would love to know where you thrift in Boston. Back in college (Mass Art) I knew of a few places but now that time has passed and I dont live there anymore I have no clue. I would love to have a list of places to check out when I am visiting though, that is if you are willing to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello fellow thrifter! I actually compiled a big list of the good spots in Boston with info about what each place is like and how to get there, etc. Here's the post: http://littledogvintage.blogspot.com/2013/02/little-dogs-thrifting-guide-to-boston.html

      Hope that helps! As info, my favorite spots are Urban Renwalls, Todd Farm, and the huge Goodwill Boston store.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Claire! Love your blog - and congrats on your marriage!

      Delete
  2. I love old timey stuff too! Loved these photos, made me wish I was there! (not as a woman in the 1830's, mind you)

    Carol Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks Claire! Really like your blog -- and also congrats on your own marriage!.Enjoy your marriage life.........

    ReplyDelete