Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Putney School Harvest Festival



Today Josh, the dogs, and I traveled to Putney, VT to visit with family friends at The Putney School's annual Harvest Festival. My jaw was on the floor once we got to the place. The Putney School is  a progressive high school set atop a beautiful hill overlooking a valley. Among other things, the school focuses on applied work and the arts, and the art studios there are like something out of my dreams. Our friend snuck me off to peek into a few of the studios while the fair was going on, and I got to tour the weaving, metalwork, screen printing, ceramics, and woodworking spaces. Most students live on campus, and the buildings run the gamut from charming old barns to a state of the art, eco friendly fitness center. There's a real juxtaposition of old and new, innovative and traditional. Below are a few shots from the day (and there was so much more I didn't get to see).

Long range views from the campus.


The school uses solar power energy, and the panels sit in a field adjacent to the campus where cows, alpaca, and sheep graze.



The school has a lovely pond and working barn where livestock are housed.



The wood carving and metal working studio.



Student wood and metal work.


The painting and screen printing studio.






And last but not least, the weaving studio (btw, I've been talking to my teacher about resuming my weaving classes now that the wedding is over. I took a break for a few months to focus on getting our remodel done before the wedding).




The students were out and about showcasing farm animals, playing fiddle music, square dancing, and serving delicious food, some of it grown on campus. The place is like some kind of made up magical fairyland for granola crunchy artsy types (and I mean that in the best way possible).


The last building we saw before leaving was the gallery and performing art center. Hundreds of people were gathered inside signing along with an orchestra as they faced a giant window overlooking a gorgeous long range view. I wasn't able to go in for the signing because I had to stay with the dogs outside, but I did get a quick peek at the school's gallery space.




How many high schools do you know of with gallery space like that? This place actually made me wish I could go back to high school and do it all over again, and that is something I thought I'd never say. If only they had a place like this for adults...

11 comments :

  1. let's go back to high school! wanna share a locker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, now I want to be in highschool again. That doesn't happen very often :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, what a perfect high school. Wish I could attend. Wonderful to see that the arts are so loved there and animal husbandry too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Those kids are so fortunate! As far as a place like this for adults, what about the John C. Campbell Folk School or Penland? Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a program for adults at The Putney School during the summer.
      http://summer.putneyschool.org/adultstudio

      Delete
  5. Okay Claire, find out if they need a math teacher... I'm quitting and moving up to VT with you! What an awesome place, and I absolutely LOVE your photo of the "swatch" wall in the textile/weaving studio!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for writing this! I work at Putney, and putting on Harvest Fest is my job, so to hear you had a great day, and loved what you saw, is a treat. Come back next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, so honored to have a comment from you here! We will be back for sure. To say we were blown away by the school would be an understatement, and you did a fabulous job with the festival. Bravo!

      Delete
  7. You know, The Putney School actually does have an adult week program each August. It is a phenomenal program (my husband participated in the Painting workshop just this past August) which includes Blacksmithing, Creative Writing, Fiber Arts, Jewelry Making, and Painting. So if you wanted to, you could actually go back to this high school for a whole week each year! You can check it out at http://summer.putneyschool.org/adultstudio/workshops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I have heard! I am quite interested in the Fiber Arts program. Adding that to my bucket list :) Thanks for the link!

      Delete