Thursday, December 13, 2012

Boston

I had a great five days in Boston, visiting with friends and hitting up my usual thrifting spots. During the trip I fit in five dinners with friends, a holiday party, Zumba class, gift shopping, brunch, two appointments, and hit up seven thrift stores. I also walked around my old neighborhood and checked out progress on the two new apartment buildings and hotel under construction on my old block. Between spending time with good friends and the energy of the city, I am invigorated.

But perhaps my favorite part of the trip was pulling back into our driveway in Vermont and realizing that it finally feels like home here. When I left Boston, a big part of me stayed there, and it has been a slow process becoming accustomed to life in the country. The first time we visited the city after moving to VT, it hit me hard that Boston still felt like home. Seeing the skyline had me taking shallow, quick breaths and fighting back tears. It is a strange thing to call an unfamiliar place home, and have no home in the one place you know like the back of your hand. Little by little, though, this tiny country town is becoming familiar, and most importantly Josh, Fern, and Riley are here. Wherever they are is where I want to be.

Me and Boston, we had a good run, but it's time to really embrace Vermont.

Boston Images (clockwise from top left): The Modern Theater on Washington Street, Emanuel Church on Newbury Street, The Hancock Tower, Trinity Church at Copley Square, Downtown Crossing,  Boylston Street holiday decorations, Church of the Covenant on Newbury Street, The Taj Hotel.

No comments :

Post a Comment