Monday, December 3, 2012

What Our Winter Looks Like

The past few days have been our first on the property in "real" snow, and I was surprised by the way a layer of snow completely transforms the feeling of this place. Last week everything was brown, dry, and dreary. Today, every turn is a picture postcard scene. I hate to use a cliché, but the phrase winter wonderland gets right to the heart of it.

I took a little thrifting trip on Saturday, and as I drove to town, Route 106 looked like a road I had never traveled before. Christmas had arrived overnight. Twinkling lights and holiday wreaths adorned every house, chimneys piped soft smoke into the frigid air, and a soft powdery blanket of snow covered everything. Snow has turned our town into the quintessential Vermont winter scene.

At some point I will take photos of the town, as it is quite something to see this time of year, but for now images from Sunday morning's property walk will have to do.




1 comment :