Things have been a little nuts since I returned from NYC Monday night. Josh left early Tuesday morning to volunteer at a summer camp for kids all week, so I am holding down the fort with Fern, Riley, and Mocha, a dog we are sitting while her owner is away.
Fern must have been bit by something or stuck her nose into a poisonous plant, because she has a giant open oozing sore on her muzzle that is bleeding everywhere as she tries to scratch it and rub it on the furniture. I took her to the vet first thing yesterday morning and got some meds, so hopefully it will calm down soon.
Riley just started doing the intermittent lameness thing again that happened last year when he had Lyme disease, and I'm worried he's contracted it again. Both dogs received Lyme vaccines this year, but the vaccine is not a guarantee. Riley will need to be tested again. The thought of putting him on heavy duty antibiotics again breaks my heart. He was sick for an entire month while completing the round last time. I would like to look into holistic treatments for Lyme, but at the same time I know this disease is not something to mess around with or take too much time before treating. Have any of you had success treating Lyme in dogs without heavy antibiotics?
Mocha is a sweetheart, but doesn't listen to me and makes a run for the driveway every chance she gets, so I have to keep a close eye on her and have her on a leash at all times when we are outside.
And so I am wrangling a dog with a bleeding muzzle, a dog who tries to run away, and a dog shaking in the corner from joint paint this week while I try to package orders in the shop that need to go out and finish house projects. This may be a light blog posting week for me, at least until Josh returns. Thanks for understanding!