Sunday, August 4, 2013

My Handmade Wedding Dress

I'm still in New York, and as I type Marie is at her pattern table working on my wedding dress. Thus far we've had trouble getting the dress to fit correctly when we transfer the pattern from muslin to the actual fabric. At this point we're not even sure which fabric to use, so that adds another layer of complication. Nevertheless, I have faith! We will hit up the fabric store again tomorrow morning before my train back to Vermont to see if we can find something that will work. Thank you Marie for working so hard on this dress and being so patient with me!

I also hit up a number of thrift stores in NYC over the past few days and found a potential backup dress for pennies, so at least I have something in case Marie and I decide to give up on the handmade dress.

A few photos from the past few days...







Back home, Josh has cut a hole in the downstairs bedroom/office and installed our new door. This door leads to the covered porch we have also been working on. He sent these pictures taken with his phone yesterday of the project in progress. The room looks so much brighter already, I can't wait to see it in person when I return home tomorrow!


1 comment :

  1. After a totally wretched experience with David's Bridal, my Mom ended up making my wedding dress for me. You're on the right track with going either handmade of vintage. There's just so much more character to it that way. Since you own a vintage shop, it would be fun to have a vintage piece to wear on your special day, and you can never go wrong with a handmade collaboration either. So you have great options set up for yourself.

    ReplyDelete