Thursday, May 9, 2013

A+ Day

Today may have been my favorite day since moving to Vermont. It rained yesterday, and overnight our hillside turned into a lush forest paradise. I spent a few hours in the morning taking photos of vintage stock and rewiring a few old lamps before joining Josh in the yard to work on the rock wall.

Gathering and stacking rocks has become my new favorite project. It's such hard work, but I want to do it all the time. I see Josh's eyes glaze over every time I suggest we work on the wall (understandable considering he's the one having to lift all the really heavy rocks) but for me there's something so rewarding about actually building something. My knees are bruised and my forearms are scratched from pulling rocks out of thorny patches, but I could do it all day. Maybe I've missed my calling as a stone mason?! Okay, okay, go ahead and roll your eyes :)


Dandelions have also taken over the yard, and while we'll mow them eventually, I am actually really enjoying those little weeds. They're so pretty peppered around the yard, and dandelion greens are actually delicious, with a bitter flavor similar to arugula. Around noon I gathered a bunch from the yard and made a dandelion greens salad with tomato, bell pepper, and avocado for lunch.


We spent the rest of the afternoon working on the rock wall, then cleaned up and drove south to the Weathersfield Inn for dinner. It was our first time there, and we will definitely be back. The inn has a beautiful patio dining area with a fire pit, and the food was delicious.  With only a handful of restaurants within a 30 minute drive from us, every place we discover is a big deal. On our way back from dinner we stopped at the ice cream stand that just opened back up for the summer, and shared a cone on the park benches out front. What a day! 

2 comments :

  1. We have so many of those dandelions growing wild in Australia. I have heard they are edible but I have never tried it... I might just give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belinda - thanks for checking out the blog! The dandelions are really good, especially mixed with other greens. If you pick them from the yard just make sure it wasn't treated with any chemicals!

    ReplyDelete